Day 11: This live rock is exceedingly clean, no hitchikers on it at all. Not so much as a copepod has been found and I've been looking VERY carefully. I'm actually rather disappointed. I just hope that there's some bacteria in there at least, I've been testing for the usual suspects (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) and so far have only detected 2.5ppm nitrate today.
Day 10: The rocks are now visible (they were the very next day actually). I decided to go with a minimalistic rockscape so that the tank doesn't look too cramped and allow for good flow all round. Clearly I have an issue with the circulation pumps and the sand. These Tunze pumps pack a real punch and the sand just won't stay put. A bit of playing around with the positioning of pumps will be required to find the best location for each of them.
Officially day 1: Leak testing is complete and I'm pleased to report that no leaks have been found, time to get the cycle started. I'm going for the old fashioned live rock cycle and a bit of patience. The tank is now salty and the live rocks and substrate are in. It seems I didn't do a good enough job of washing the sand though, lol, the rocks are in there honest!
Hi, my name is Lisa and I live in Derby, UK. I am a self-confessed reefaholic!