Another month has passed by so it's time for another update. The day after I added the three gorgonians etc. I received one more delivery. This time the box contained some tiny frags of encrusting Montipora danae on frag plugs plus a small rock of fan worms. When it came to mounting the Montipora frags I removed the base of the plug but that still left huge round chunky base, no matter how it was positioned it would never, ever blend in. So I decided to take the rather risky option of removing the frag from the plug entirely and sticking it directly on to the rocks. Since the frags were only 1 cm across it's not hard to imagine how beaten up they were during the whole process, I don't think that I've ever treated corals so harshly in my life, well not intentionally anyway. This is what they looked like 2 days after fixing down.....
...and here's how they looked 9 days later, amazingly not dead yet. The green one looks like it will do OK the other two not so much, only time will tell if they make it or not.
For the most part the other corals have been doing fine with base encrustation and/or upward growth. The zoanthids are really doing great with multiple new head; the exceptions being the first addition which seems to stay the same no matter what and the Wango Tangos which still have the same number of heads as when they went in with. The clam seems happy with its lot and has developed an extra line of scutes since I've had it. The only coral I'm specifically concerned with at the moment is the Plexaurella gorgonian. I noticed that it had a damaged area on one of the branches yesterday, I'm not sure if it's because it's unhealthy or because I've inadvertently damaged it. I do get very close to it with the pipette when I'm feeding the pistol shrimp so I will take more care in the future and hope that it can recover.
There is a bumper photo update below and I've added the new shots to the individual livestock pages to illustrate any growth (or not, lol). There are a few shots left to take such as the clam but that will have to wait till another day.
I'm pleased to report that I haven't lost any more of the Red Spot Cardinalfish which is a relief. Sadly there has not been any more spawnings, I see plenty of what looks like courtship behaviour but no release of any eggs.
The Nudus gobies have unfortunately been evicted from their cave yet again by the pistol shrimp's digging activities this has been upsetting for everyone concerned. I really need to remove either the shrimp + goby or the Nudus goby pair but I'd never be able to catch them without stripping out the tank which I just can't bring myself to do. I've hardly seen or been able to feed any of the affected parties for the last 2 weeks. Skip the female Nudus goby vanished for the 3 days, leaving Hop, her mate, swimming about searching for her. I feared that she'd come to a sickly end facing up to the pistol shrimp but to my very great relief she popped up again ready to fight another day. She'd probably spent the 3 days underground hassling the Whitecap goby who always seems to be the biggest loser during these turf wars. I hope he's survived OK. I can still hear the pistol's shot every now and again so I know he's fine.
I'll sign off now with the obligatory new month FTS. I took it upon myself last month to strip and clean one of the Tunze nanostream pumps. Boy did it look out of place when it was put back in, I suppose I should do the other one to match but now that the coralline has gone it's allowed the brown algae to grow. The snails need to get munching pronto.
Hi, my name is Lisa and I live in Derby, UK. I am a self-confessed reefaholic!